Individual Community Scholar Funding Package: All UCF REU and RET International Community Scholars will receive the following compensation package provided by our grant from the National Science Foundation:
- $4200 Stipend: Stipend will be paid over three installments over the summer assuming full participation and completion of all required REU and RET Site elements.
- $750 in travel to/from Orlando and the Belize REU and RET Site: REU and RET staff will book group tickets for the team from/to Orlando and Belize. We will work with students and teachers to book their flights to/from Orlando.
- All Expenses Paid for Shared Housing in Orlando and Belize: All students and teachers will live in shared dorms in Orlando during the UCF portion of the program and in shared field stations/hotels/cabanas while in Belize. These housing expenses will be paid for by the grant at no cost to students and teachers.
- Belize Food Allowance: REU students and RET teachers will be given a meal allowance per week for food while in Belize and have a paid dining plan while in Orlando for the UCF portion of the REU. The Belize weekly food allowance may or may not cover all meal costs while in Belize, so students should budget accordingly.
- $750 for Post-Program Conference or Industry Visits: To encourage professionalization, presentation, networking and dissemination of project results, each REU student and RET teacher will also receive up to $750 in travel reimbursement to present REU/RET work at a major national or international meeting after the program or to visit a non-profit organization or business in their area of interest to shadow and network with prospective contacts. This money will likely not cover all expenses to an international meeting, so students and teachers should seek additional funding from their home universities/colleges and other sources as “matching funds.”
Additional Group Costs Covered In Belize: The grant provides a small public transportation and boat budget for access to research sites for the students. Each of the two research teams will also be provided with a shared Belize cell phone rental and minutes for in-country calling.
Post-REU/RET Writing and Fieldwork Retreat for High-Performing REU Students and RET Teachers: Additionally each year in order to assist with continued professional development and dissemination of results, 2-3 of the highest performing students will be invited back to Belize or the UCF campus for an intensive writing workshop. Please note: this opportunity is not available to the entire cohort of REU students and RET teachers, only up to 2-3 per year selected by the PI and Co-PI.